August 10, 2017

Schmincke, I'm in Love.

I started using the dot samples of Schmincke watercolors I received yesterday and *drool.* They're so amazing. I really wasn't expecting to be disappointed -- they've been around for a long time and if you look them up on YouTube, you can see the time and knowledge of their craft that they put into every pan or tube of their paint.

But, when you're first starting out and you see the price -- you understandably, "Eek!" a little.

Trust me, they're worth every penny. With quality paint like these, a little goes a long way. But if you're going to use them, treat them right. I used them on Arches (cold pressed) paper. It's one of the most popular amongst watercolor artists. (Note: I will often alternate between 'watercolor,' and 'watercolour,' because that's how I roll).

Even though it's the most popular paper, it's the first time I've used it. It took a bit of getting used to in terms of getting the color worked into the page. I was able to use my new Da Vinci Russian Squirrel mop brush without worrying about buckling or pilling. In fact, it also worked amazingly well when glazing and getting that color packed in.

I haven't finished the painting, but as you can see -- it really doesn't take much of this paint to go far.

No comments:

Post a Comment