December 1, 2009

Bitten.

I meant to update sooner, honest.

I just woke up not too long ago. I’m armed with coffee - so that’s okay. I couldn’t say what woke me, especially this early in the morning. Ever had one of those mornings where no matter how much or how little sleep you’ve gotten you open your eyes and your mind is completely awake?

Ye-eah, that pretty much sums it up. Usually, I try to go back to sleep, but my mind was already too awake compared to the rest of my body.

Thus, I slipped out of bed to make coffee and let my girlfriend get some decent sleep. She hasn’t been feeling well lately. One of the things we discovered when I was working on Witch Wolf was that, when I crawled out of bed to begin working on the book in the bright hours of the morning, she was able to fall into a deeper sleep. Why a deeper sleep? When the sun comes up I have a tendency to get active in my sleep. You know, knees, elbows, and flinging my hand across someone’s face. Once I’m vertical, she doesn’t have to worry about that...or my elbows. If I wake up and there’s a pillow shoved like a barrier between our pillows – I know I’ve been active and that she’s been sleeping with one eye open. Fortunately, we’ve found that the pillow barrier generally works.

Of course, I don’t remember any of the kneeing, elbow jabbing, or hand flinging when I wake up. She has to tell me about these things when we get up in the morning. Though, by far, the strangest thing I’ve done was bite her. Yep, bite. You read that right.

When I woke up the next morning and sat down with my coffee she asked, “Do you remember biting me last night?”

I blinked, trying to comprehend. “I did what last night?”

“You bit me. You don’t remember that?”

“No,” I said, “I don’t.”

At first, I thought she was joking. She explained in detail that I had snuggled into her, growled softly, nuzzled my face into the bend of her neck, and sank my teeth in. At first, she thought I had been awake when I’d done it, but when I fell back as quickly as I had bitten her, she realized that I was very much asleep.

It’s a little creepy, in an amusing sort of way.

So, not only does she have to worry about my knees, elbows, and hands – She has to worry that my subconscious might turn vampiric and go for the carotid.

Hmm, maybe there’s a reason I write preternatural fiction so well.

Witch Wolf is scheduled to be released in June next year in both print and ebook. On that front, here’s a little surprise.


Blessings,
Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment