October 11, 2009

Editing.

I picked up the second book today and started working on the edits. I just couldn’t help myself. I’ve got the time to work on it and I need to get it done. I started working on the edits around two o’clock this afternoon and wrapped things up at about eleven this evening. I left myself a note so that I can pick up where I left off tomorrow.

I’m honestly surprised I can still type. I love the feeling that I get when I’ve worked my brain so much that a little part of it is going, “I hate you, you bitch.”

I enjoy editing. It feels good to work on something and to see the finished product. It also helps keep the book fresh in my mind. It’s not easy work, but it’s certainly rewarding to me.

Everyone makes mistakes. That is why it’s crucial to edit. I generally do not edit while I’m writing the book. That’s flow time. I’m not going to stop to edit and stifle the flow unless I’m on top of the mistake. If I’m done for the day and I’m looking for more work to do, then I’ll go over the work I’ve already done and clean it up, but my major edits don’t happen until the book is done.

When the book is done I do a read-through. I sit down with the manuscript and a box of colored pencils (or at the computer with a notepad nearby), and I go through and make notes while editing.

Today, I sat at the computer for about nine hours cutting, rewriting, checking consistency, and correcting mistakes. I’m not done with the edits yet, but I am so done for the night. It’s time to go spend some time with my sweetie and unwind.

Blessings,
Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment